Barbecue sauce! Cheaper and healthier than the bottle stuff, no plastic bottle for the landfill, and personalized to make it yours.
Over medium heat, heat:
- 1 glug olive oil (about a tablespoon)
When the oil is hot, add:
- 1 onion, chopped (as finely as possible, super fine if you don’t have an immersion blender)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced (depending on size and garlic love levels)
Once those are fragrant and the onion is translucent, add:
- 1 can tomato paste
- Tomato paste can re-filled with water (stir it up to get all leftover paste)
- 1/2 boullion cube
- 1 tsp whole grain dijon
- 1 TBSP ACV
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP soy sauce (tamari, braggs, coconut aminos all work here)
- 1 TBSP seasoning (chili powder is an easy option, combos of oregano/cumin/cayenne/smoked paprika/coriander/cayenne work fine too, use what ya got)
Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup of apple juice, pineapple juice or red wine (use what ya got!)
- 2 TBSP arrowroot starch, cornstarch or tapioca starch
When thoroughly mixed (no chunks!), add to the other ingredients in the sauce pan.
Let simmer 15-20 minutes, tasting occasionally for sweetness and salt levels.